Thursday, April 7

Evaluation of magazine




 
Most magazine spreads usually feature the main masthead on top of the magazine, an image of the main person with an inside exclusive interview about their lifestyle and the recent gossip buzzing around, a quote from the main person themselves in bold, interview, same colour scheme consistent throughout the magazine and underlying gossip, recent stories and competitions for interested readers.

For the magazine I created, uses these conventions: magazines masthead, an image of the person on the spread, other TV series that are happening. This proves that the magazine I created does use the form and conventions similar to a real media production.

 The quote from David Failler in the magazine “No one can get through it alone” shows how far he has come to be able to overcome his fears of schizophrenia.  His image is presented as powerful and this is represented through the use of camera work. The low angle shot/mid shot shows how much strength he has in terms of fighting this illness. His main aim is relating to peoples feelings and touching their hearts by this unbreakable story. I used this quote because alot of schizophrenics feel alone and abandoned however David tries to tell his audience that they can get through it with determination.

For my media product, this magazine spread is mainly aimed for both genders because both females and males can relate to David's story. The man posed on the spread cccentuates knowledge but also gives an idea of information in the spread.  This dominates the dominant ideology that most people featured in magazine spreads try to relate to what the interview is going to be about. This is what I was trying to accomplish with the pose and the movement of the body. 
The male featured on the spread is fully dressed; however  the shot composition shows the ideas and thoughts going through his minbd which reflects most schizophrenics. 
For my inside exclusive interview of the artist, emergent ideology is viewable on both the front cover and the double page interview.
 For magazine spread my main target audience was for ages 16-25. This is because I felt that the connotations used within the magazine would appeal more to this age range than for other ages. The vibrant colours used are intentionally used to mainly stereotype this type of target audience.
I believe that the connotations used within my magazine attracts a more serious audience with the colours and pictures used for the magazine. Connotation of the colour red presents a feeling of danger which can be refered to most schizophrenics but also a sparkling energetic vibe that will attract a lot of people. However combining black, white with red can relate to males and females. This in return creates a centre of attention to a wider audience for my magazine.
 The language used in the interview is formal but at the same informative. This shows that David really wants his audience to be able to learn something from the interview.
In addition my magazine is a low cost budget so its not too expensive to put the readers off.
Technologies from the process of constructing this product were:
  • Photoshop
  • In design
  • Microsoft PowerPoint
  • Digital camera
  • Internet Explorer
I have learnt a great deal about these technologies and they have helped me a lot during the process of my magazine spread.

Digital Camera 
I used the digital camera to take the finest pictures for my magazine spread. It was really useful because it wasn’t like a traditional camera where the pictures turned up blurry and also the digital camera had a lot of options like the settings. The digital camera also conserves large amount of space which enabled me to take many pictures as I like and at the end I would be able to chose what kind of pictures stand out. This was useful because I was able to see how the pictures look on a wider screen and then I can alter the settings like camera angles or lightning and take more pictures.
 I tried to use different types of shots. In the feature page I used a low angle shot to connote power.

Photoshop
I used Adobe Photoshop to edit and manipulate my pictures so that they can look real and professional. If my pictures were left original like before  they wouldn’t look as professional for a global magazine.





Indesign
 
I used In design to make the actual look of the magazine. Most of my magazine was made by this technology because it includes all the appropriate tools.







Microsoft Powerpoint
 
Microsoft PowerPoint was really useful because it was used for my evaluation and my planning. I used this tool because its easier and its more interactive than using Microsoft Word. Its more enjoyable and engaging using Microsoft PowerPoint because on each slides, there isn’t a lot of information.











COMPARISON TO MY AS MAGAZINE SPREAD
Looking at both magazines, progression can be made straight away from the layout to the fonts and to the colours used. My skills have developed from my music magazine to my TV Guru magazine. I developed my in indesign however I had little knowledge on the advanced technologies like Photoshop or in design.

Straightaway, the editing of both images differs in numerous ways. The music magazine image clearly looks like it was just placed on the cover without no editing involved. However in TV Guru magazine, the image looks professional like it would be found on a normal music magazine. It also reflects on what the interview is going to be based on.

For my music magazine the layout is very consistent and looks appealing and engaging to the readers however, its just too plain which might be boring to the readers compared to the TV Guru magazine which is full of colour and very vibrant.

The colours used on the music magazine are pink, grey, black and white. These colours give a feeling of fun and enjoyment. However using this colours only attracts females and not males so this might put some readers off.

The language in the music magazine especially in the interview is formal but at the same has an amusing side to it. This shows that the artist puts a lot of effort in what she does also she enjoys her profession like performing in tours or award shows. In addition my magazine is a low cost budget so its not too expensive to put the readers off. In the TV Guru, the language is formal and informative because it is about a serious issue.



Overall I believe I have improved from my AS magazine to my A2 magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment