Saturday, April 9

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

I believe that the combination of my main product and ancillary products have been very effective and very successful because they all have a relationship that can be established.


In both my documentary and radio trailer I have used the same type of music which is melancholy and establishes a mood of sadness which is what the audience is supposed to feel. Furthermore, the music makes the audience sympathize more with the character and it reveals the breakdown of David through his journey of schizophrenia.




 I used "someone like you" by Adele. The instruments in this song are so powerful that they can have different interpretations. However, I believe that listening to this song is like climbing a hill slowly by slowly but then at the end, you start walking faster and faster because you have achieved somenthing. So refering back to the documentary, at the biginning, David is foretelling how he was first diagnoised with schizophrenia when he was young, the music reflects the storyline David is foretellling to the audience. The storyline itself, is engaging.

The colour scheme; black, red and white is consistant in the dodumentary and radio trailer. These colours were used to give both products a professional. Red as a color on the magazine connotes intensity of the subject - schizophrenia. Schizophrenia as a mental illness is viewed as a dangerous illness and red reflects the subject of the documentary. White is for purity and this is conveyed through David's language in both the documentary, radio trailer and the magazine. Black is for emptiness which refers to David who felt empty and alone, segragated from the scary world. All the colors we used represent something in all the products.


The documentary was my main product, with the advert and double page spread as the ancillary texts. I feel that the combination of my products was very successful. I think there is a consistent house style, which is important in keeping the image of the documentary easily recognisable. I chose to use images from my documentary in my other products to keep a consistent style. This also means it would be easy to tell that the three products stem from the same purpose.



No comments:

Post a Comment